Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Koi Pond

SNAG-0174 

On Thursday, October 29th 2009, NBC aired an episode of The Office titled Koi Pond. Now I’d never really heard of the term and while watching the episode last night on Hulu, instinctively googled it and came across this helpful definition:

Water gardens, also known as aquatic gardens, backyard ponds and garden ponds, (that) have become popular in recent years.

I carried on watching the episode as normal until afterward, when I got curious if that term was used commonly enough or if it were just me who’d never heard of it.

Well, thanks to Google Trends, turns out, there were quite a few among us out there who felt the need to look it up right after or during the airing of the episode 2 weeks ago:

SNAG-0173

The search term spiked 7.5 fold on the 29th and lingered upto a week later as people caught on. Makes you think how search technology is making its way straight into the living room and our lives. And how I’m not the only one who googles everything I have a question about. :)

Related: The analysis of the US presidential inauguration speech google published back in January.

No comments: