Sunday, November 15, 2009

OSX internet connection problems

My first time on a mac proved rather cumbersome- while I could connect to the wifi network at home, I somehow just could not connect to the internet. It turned out that the issue was that the DNS server was not configured.

Thanks to everyone at aardvark who helped with the problem- http://vark.com/t/c40068

However, what made the problem worse was that each time I made any changes to the DNS settings, they were never saved.

After a *lot* of digging around, was able to find a preferences.plist file that was actually set to read-only for my account (the account is admin!).  I don’t know why OSX would behave this way, but I reset the permissions on the plist and then assigned the default DNS under network settings- this time they stick. :)

prefs

No comments: